Thursday, April 18, 2013

"Eveline" - James Joyce



“Eveline” is a short story included in James Joyce’s book of short stories, Dubliners. It depicts a young girl in emotional turmoil. She is very unhappy with her living situation. Eveline, who is the narrator of the story, is debating whether or not to elope to Buenos Aires, Argentina with Frank, her lover. She wants to leave her hard life behind, but she is torn because she made a promise to her mother before she died to take care of the family. She does not want to make the same mistakes or live the same life that her mother lived either.  She seems to make up her mind about what she is going to do, but she makes it all the way to the docks before deciding to stay home.
            Joyce’s depiction of this young woman, Eveline, is symbolic of many young women in Dublin at the time of this story. The young women often had to choose between an uneventful, domestic life or that of adventure and travel with a husband. Although, Joyce’s story is fictional, it serves as a clear view of early twentieth-century Dublin from a woman’s point of view. Eveline begins the story in reflection and turmoil. She remembers the good times of playing in a field across the street from her house, but these thoughts soon lead to the realization of how her life has changed, “That was a long time ago… Everything changes” (Joyce 20). Her father has become abusive, her mother is dead, one of her brothers is dead, friends and neighbors are dead and moving away, but she is about to leave all of the pain of her hard life behind because she has “consented to go away, to leave her home.” (Joyce 21).  She is unsure of her decision because she wonders what people will think of her, but she “feels herself in danger of her father’s violence” (Joyce 21). Her brothers used to take the brunt of his violence, but now, one is dead, and the other lives away from home. Eveline dearly wants to move away so that she would be respected and not treated like her mother, but she also feels a sense of duty to her family. She works hard to provide for her father and her younger siblings, but she is not appreciated at work or at home, which makes moving and living with Frank so appealing. This was a commonality between Dublin women. They had a sense of pride and tradition, but they also wanted to get out and experience a different kind of life. Joyce uses Eveline to show the pitfalls of life for a woman in Dublin during the early twentieth century.
            Even though Joyce was a part of the modernist movement, many of his stories in Dubliners depicted a naturalist theme. “Eveline” is one such story. Joyce depicts a lower class young girl disenchanted and disillusioned with her life, and he shows qualities of both naturalism and modernism throughout the short story. The first paragraph of the short story describes Eveline sitting at a window and leaning against the curtains with “the odour of dusty cretonne,” in her nose (Joyce 20). This paragraph creates an image, which was a major characteristic of modernism, but it also depicts such a common place action as sitting and staring out of a window, an element of the naturalist movement. Joyce also describes Eveline and her hardships as that of the lower working class through his words, “It was hard work-a hard life” (21). Joyce also displays some of his stream of consciousness writing through order of events within the story. The story travels through Eveline’s thoughts of first her childhood, then the place she calls home, to one of her father’s classmates, then on to what people will think of her leaving, on further still to thoughts of the dynamics to her family, then to thoughts of Frank, then on to her trying to make a decision, further to her mother’s death bed, and eventually it ends with Eveline’s experience of abandoning Frank at the dock. The thoughts flow in the story, but they seem disjointed; however, they also seem to follow a type of thought pattern. This type of stream of consciousness writing is also a key element of the modern movement. Even though Eveline ends up staying home and not leaving with Frank, it is a commonplace story that could have happened to any lower class woman at the time, which makes this perfect for the naturalist movement in that she could not change her fate, and she is bound to her life in Dublin despite almost living a life of her choosing by going with Frank. Within the story, Joyce seems to combine elements of both the naturalist and modernist movements, but it molds well into a great story. -

Lesley Carter

             

10 comments:

  1. I really like James Joyce and this sounds like a great story. I think that most people have the exact same experience as Eveline does at some point in life. I felt a similar way when I left home to come to college. It can be difficult to choose between family obligations and the life you want to lead. It's interesting that she chose to stay at home. If I were her I would have left. I also like that you mentioned the way the story progresses like a train of thought. It flows naturally as if the reader is inside of her mind hearing her thought process. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This seems like another interesting story on inner conflict to choose one's destiny. The speaker could have gone either way- leaving home for a new life or staying in an unstable home that she knows- and she chose the life that she knew. She chose to stay with her culture and background rather than choosing a new life of her own. Good analysis, Lesley! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A common choice most have to face. Most people can relate to this story and I think that's why Joyce decided to write it. Both the modernism and naturalism is represented. The stream of consciousness brings the reader closer to the character and is able to relate more. Joyce has a way of making common stories interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great analysis! You picked out the naturalistic and modern themes and explained them very well. As the others have said, Eveline has to make a choice that almost everyone has to make. Although we aren't in such a bind as Eveline is(being pressured to stay home, even with an abusive father), we create our own bonds ("this is what I've always known; how could I leave it?"). It's also kind of sad, looking back at the past and remembering the "good times." I do that a lot already, so I can't imagine looking back at college life and remembering it as the good times.

    Hannah Aycock

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love the sound of this story. I appreciated your tone of writing because from the start of the first paragraph I got a strong modern feeling, which I think follows Joyce's attitude. This story can strike closer to home, because even though it most accurately describe's a woman's struggle in that place and time frame, I still see this dilemma occurring in cycles today. The fact that Eveline's struggle was so life-changing and almost cruel is made worse by the fact that her struggle is common. It's especially striking to me because my own father was caught in a situation parallel to this one when he was 18, and he chose to leave. I respect Eveline's decision as well as my father's. Both suffered the consequences of their actions; there is no way to escape them no matter what you do. I admire her keeping her promise and following through with her commitment; however, I admit I felt disappointment when I saw the conclusion in your analysis. My initial thought in defense of Eveline, though, was that perhaps her decision reflected on her level of commitment to Frank? It also makes me think about what example her actions set for her siblings. Her older brothers had gotten out as soon as possible. Should she have?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also think Eveline's choice represents a fear of the unknown. I think this is a fear we all face, whether in the midst of making a decision or just contemplating our future. Eveline chose to stay in her comfort zone and live a life that she could predict and somewhat control instead of jump into a life of uncertainty. I think I would really enjoy this story! -Hollie Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  7. How telling about the subversion of women in Dublin culture, yet at the same time, still applicable across genders even today. I think everyone can identify with this story because everyone, at some point, has grappled with a decision that could change the course of their future. I know that some people struggle with stream of consciousness, and I'm sure that it was at times a difficult read, so kudos for picking this piece. I think what's important when reading Joyce is to focus on the aesthetic of his writing. Thanks for the post; I really want to get into Joyce's writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. After reading this anaylsis, it sparked something in the back of my overused memory, and I realized that I read this short story in high school. I also remembered how I found the story to be very relatable. I grew up in a tiny town that seemed harder to get out of than quicksand. Sometimes it is easier to follow expectations and never draw outside the lines. But, there would be no maps without a little adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story sounds like a variation of a coming of age story we would have today. The conflict that Eveline feels between breaking out and trying to start a life of her own, separate from her family, is definitely stepping out of her comfort zone; it is the unknown, and the unknown is always scary. I think that the ending was kind of representative of the time period that the story was written in- when people seemed to have much fewer option than we have available to us today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another great Joyce story! Also, I enjoyed your analysis Lesley! I don't how but no one does conflict like Joyce. As I read more analyses of poem I find that he appeals to the dramatic in me. I think he does a great job at conveying the inner conflicts that people face. A choice needs to be made but come with a lot of pressure. Through your analysis I can see that you felt that way too and I enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete