Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"Ode to Psyche" - John Keats



John Keats’ choice to write about the story of Psyche evokes the desire of many of his contemporaries in the Romantic Era to return to the Classics. The idealistic portrayal of undying love was a sentiment expressed in many Romantic poems. From the first few lines of Ode to Psyche, one can tell that Keats has a reverence for love. He begins by humbling himself before the subject. He calls out to Psyche (“Oh Goddess!”) and entreats her to listen to his poem that he refers to as “tuneless numbers”.  He goes further by asking her to “pardon” him for sharing her secrets even if she is the only one who hears (“And pardon that thy secrets should be sung, even into thine own soft-conched ear.”) It is almost as though he holds her story in such high esteem that, to him, it may be too holy or precious to tell. 
As if deciding that it is too important of a story to be left untold, he continues. What he witnessed what so unbelievable, he thought that “surely” he was dreaming (“Surely I dreamt today or did I see…”). He saw Psyche with wings and “awakened eyes.” This description of Psyche insinuates that she was in the form of a Goddess.
            According to the myth of Psyche, she was a human who was so beautiful that men worshipped her rather than the Goddess Aphrodite. This greatly anger Aphrodite, and she ordered her son, Cupid, to force Psyche to fall in love with the most hideous man on Earth. Instead of following his mother’s command, Cupid fell in love with Psyche, and took her away to his palace. He told Psyche that she must never look at him. However, one night, Psyche disobeyed him. Because of this, Cupid left her, and in order to get him back, Psyche had to prove her love by completing extremely difficult tasks. This involved a trip to the Underworld: she literally went to Hell and back to prove her love for Cupid. When her tasks were finished, she was granted immorality so that she could be with him. She had won it through her unconditional love.
            The poet now sees her in her immortal glory with her lover. He describes them as “calm-breathing” as they lay on the grass, which evokes a sense of peace. Their trials are over and they can be together without fear of punishment. Equality is represented through the description of their body language: “ Their arms embraced, and their pinions too.” They both have wings (“pinions”); therefore, they are both immortals. However, Keats points out that he has heard of Cupid (“The winged boy I knew”), but had not heard mention of Psyche (“But who wast thou, O happy, happy dove? His Psyche true!”). His reference to Cupid is somewhat flippant (“boy”) compared to that of Psyche.  A dove is considered a holy, pure creature. Also, when he refers to her as “true”, it evokes faithfulness.
            After giving Psyche much praise, claiming that she is the “loveliest vision far of all Olympus’ faded hierarchy”, he ponders why she, though the most deserving of all immortals, was never worshipped like the others (“though temple hast thou none…”). Because she had missed the opportunity to be worshipped (“…too late for antique vows, Too, too late for the fond believing lyre…these days so far retired…”), Keats offers to be her priest and to build temple for her in his mind (“I will be thy priest and build a fane, in some untrodden region of my mind.”) This is his way of honoring what he views as an ideal example of love. It is as if he wants to travel back in time to provide a safe haven when the lovers were in need of it (“A rosy sanctuary will I dress… And there shall be for thee all soft delight that shadowy thought can win, a bright torch, and a casement ope at night, to let the warm Love in!”) - Chamblee Smith
             

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a poem that I want to read! I really like Greek mythology, so I will definitely be looking this one up soon. I feel that the narrator's initial apprehension to finish the story is because he feels so strongly about Psyche that he wishes to have her secrets all to himself, which is similar to those of us who "discover" something wonderful but want to keep it to ourselves due more than anything to jealousy. Of course, we cannot help talking about our beloved obsession, so we end up spilling the beans. Getting back to jealousy, Aphrodite's envy of Psyche's beauty is what prevented Cupid's love to be worshiped. However, the poet remedies this by writing this ode to her.

    Great analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of Psyche before, so I was a little confused at first, thinking I was literally reading about the human psyche. I appreciated the play on words mentioned towards the end of the analysis, where the poet talks about building her a temple in his mind. How fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed your analysis of this poem. It makes me want to read it. I will agree with Katelyn because I had never heard of psyche before either. I will admit that when I saw the word psyche I thought of psychology and specifically Freud. When I saw psyche in combination with conch I thought of Lord of the Flies... However, as I continued to read, I could not help but be impressed with your analysis and the depth of this poem. Overall, this was a great poem, and I really enjoyed your interpretation and explanation of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also picked up on jealousy throughout the analysis. I thought that the narrator was jealous of Cupid because of his relationship with Psyche. I thought this because of the fact that he referred to Cupid as a "boy", incapable of truly loving Psyche, a "happy, happy dove?" I don't know if this is actually evident in the poem or not but that is what came to my mind. Sounds like a good read. -Hollie Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this poem before, but it seems to be a very interesting read! The thing that caught my eye the most is when he refers to Cupid in the play. I feel like he is worried or afraid that Psyche might leave him for Cupid. I also agree with Hollie that he felt that Cupid was incapable of truly loving Pysche.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a sucker for mythology, so I will definitely have to read this poem!(Not to mention it's a love poem, which in my opinion are the only kind.) I enjoyed Keats' romantic endeavor of building a temple for the one he loved in his mind. I also like that he alludes to mythology. Such feats of noble comparison are sometimes heart touching, though often they fall short on the side of cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a bit of a romantic myself, so when I found out that this poem combined two of my favorite parts of literature (mythology and a love story) I was hooked. I have read some other poems about gods and goddesses in the past and, in comparison, Keats puts his own spin on the traditional myth. I also appreciate the flowry and descriptive language that Keats used in his imagery (i.e. "And there shall be for thee all soft delight that shadowy thought can win, a bright torch, and a casement ope at night...”). I feel like that literary element must be present in any good love poem.
    - Emily Alves

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great analysis, Chamblee! It has been a long time since I have read this poem but I definitely need to reread it. I deinitely agree with your analysis. I find humorous that he talks of Cupid as a boy to belittle him but today, everyone pictures him as a baby. I also love his world choice when he talks about Psyche. It's so romantic!

    ReplyDelete