Thursday, April 18, 2013

"My heart leaps up when I behold" - William Wordsworth



With the “Romantic Period” came a new form of emotional and lyrical poetry; those poems were much different than the literature present during the time of the Enlightenment. A man who secured the most foundational name in Romanticism literature by writing such poems was William Wordsworth.
The poem “My heart leaps up when I behold” is an example of one of Wordsworth's popular works. From a formalistic approach, Wordsworth’s use of imagery and verse structure reveal the poem’s overall themes of the passage of time and nature.
In an attempt to convey the time theme and set the tone for “My heart leaps up when I behold,” Wordsworth added dramatic images. Using rich vocabulary words to demonstrate the speaker’s longing for his childhood is a favored literary device of the author. At the end of the reading, the speaker uses the phrase “natural piety” to describe the connection he wishes to make between his past and present lives (9). When most people read the word “piety,” a religious association to “religious piety” is made. Wordsworth used that word with the hopes that people would relay that powerful image of devoutness into the character’s specific circumstance. He wanted to stress the importance of the strong bond the narrator wants with his more youthful self. 
The speaker also wastes no time introducing his love for nature and implementing imagery as a key literary element. The first two lines in the poem make both messages clear to readers: “My heart leaps up when I behold A rainbow in the sky” (1-2). Wordsworth chose that image as the opening lines because, although it contains simple vocabulary and plainly states the comparison, it sets the tone for the rest of the work. The imagery is straightforward in telling readers how the speaker cannot imagine seeing the first hint of a rainbow and not becoming overjoyed. One can assume that this fascination by nature is something that originated in his childhood and is something that he has not grown out of; most others, however, grow up and overlook the simplicity of nature in life.
The poem’s structure is guided entirely by time. The author specifically mentions the beginning and ending of human life instead of deeming those specifics unimportant and leaving the rest to the imagination. For example, in the middle of the poem, the narrator refers to the circle of life: “So is it now I am a man; So be it when I shall grow old” (4-5). That quote reveals the passage of time through the inevitable process of aging. Not long after those lines, the reader finds out exactly why the narrator dreads going through such a normal part of life. When he said, “The Child is the father of the Man,” he was explaining how he views a child as a better teacher of an adult than vice versa (7). With the innocence of children comes an appreciation for nature and a fresh outlook on life that diminishes every day, instead of growing. The entire poem encourages everyone to avoid getting older on the inside (since age obviously shows in people’s physical features) by staying young at heart. - Emily Alves


5 comments:

  1. This poem manages to be upbeat but depressing at the same time. It is written in a very joyous tone, but it is also a reminder of how fleeting life is. I think it is more a reminder for the reader than it was to author, because when he mentions himself as an old man it is in the future, but for the reader that has already passed and he is already dead. The poem also reminds me of what Professor Burkhead said in class about children being close to God because Heaven is the beginning as well as the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your response on this poem. It kind of does shock me when Whitman uses that piety reference because I feel like he did not really focus on religion for his happiness. Instead, he used nature for his inspiration. I also like the way he connects to his past. Everything that happens in the past affects who we are today, and Whitman realizes this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Wordsworth's poem is the epitome of Romantic poetry. His use of words were meant to be easily appreciated and understood. Not only that, but the subject of his poem is reflects the Romantics ideals about appreciating life and beauty. I think the idea of this poem is inspiring. I think we should all try remain young at heart, but that we should also be conscious of the way we live our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the poem is happy and sad at the same time. It reminds me of seeing something from childhood, and that bittersweet nostalgia that comes from it. I think that often, we wish that we could view things with fresh eyes again: the way that we did as a child. Wordsworth's poem captures that feeling. I really liked your analysis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your analysis and this poem. I must also say that it is joyous and depressing at the same but it needed to be. I felt more a connection to the story because of it. It is definitely a romantic poem. Great analysis, Emily!

    ReplyDelete