Thursday, April 18, 2013

"The Birthmark" - Nathaniel Hawthorne



Being an avid fan of Nathaniel Hawthorne, I am pleased to share my response to “The Birthmark,” one of Hawthorne’s short stories. This short story shares the tale of a scientist, Aylmer, who gave up science in order to marry “a beautiful woman” (Hawthorne), Georgiana; however, she has a small birthmark in the shape of a hand on her cheek. Aylmer found this mark to hinder her beauty and, as time passes, becomes more and more disturbed by her imperfection. Georgina becomes distraught because her birthmark repulses her husband. The couple decides to move back to Aylmer’s laboratory so he can continue his studies; however, he is still obsessing over the birthmark. After realizing her husband can no longer love her because of her blemish, she agrees to drink an elixir that will remove it.  The birthmark begins to fade and Aylmer is overjoyed. Although the potion is successful, it causes Georgiana to die, leaving Aylmer alone with the lifeless, but perfect, woman.
            This story initially presents the theme of perfection. Georgiana’s birthmark had never been a problem before with other suitors; in fact, she was always told it was a “charm” that some “fairy” had given her at birth that would give her the gift to “sway over all hearts.” On the other hand, Aylmer saw it as the only thing keeping his wife from absolute perfection. He becomes obsessed with the flaw, which in turn causes his wife to despise it as well. She is willing to die in order to please her husband; this represents the world’s obsession with perfection. Some people are willing to go to drastic measures in order to fit into a certain mold; however, Hawthorne’s use of death exemplifies that perfection is unattainable, and people should be pleased with what nature has bestowed them. Aylmer attempts to be God-like and change nature’s actions. He tries to create perfection, instead of enjoying “the best the earth could offer.” Georgiana’s birthmark depicts uniqueness and individuality. It rejects order, embodying the characteristics of romanticism. Everything in nature is blemished, yet there is beauty in everything. Aylmer, in his effort to change nature, fails, and his wife dies as just another unsuccessful experiment.  
            Secondly, Hawthorne presents his readers with the idea of sin as an imperfection. Unlike his other stories, “The Birthmark” seems to glorify an imperfection. Georgiana is depicted as pure through the use of imagery and color; her birthmark is depicted as crimson, representing sin as well as passion. By removing the birthmark, Aylmer is also removing the passion in their relationship. He once felt love for this beautiful woman and did not care about her birthmark. Now that he despises the mark, he wants to return to his first love, science, and uses Georgiana’s imperfection as an excuse. The birthmark also represents that humanity is naturally flawed; Georgiana states, “The stain goes as deep as life itself,” and refers to the birthmark as a “firm grip of this little hand which was lad upon me before I came into the world.” This shows that sin is basically essential for life on earth; all humans are destined to be sinners. Once this sin is removed, she dies, showing that a life without sin is impossible. Her passing also represents that upon death, perfection is possible in heaven.
            This was my initial reaction to Hawthorne’s “The Birthmark.” I admire his use of imperfection to enhance awareness that beauty is natural, and perfection is impossible to attain. “The Birthmark” is an interesting read and I would encourage you all to read it if given the chance.  - Savannah

McKinney

13 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting story. I agree completely with your interpretation. I think this is a really accurate reflection of society- especially modern day society. People are so obsessed with "perfection" that they would actually be willing to die in order to attain it. I'm sure that there are many, many people today who go to drastic measures in an attempt to bring themselves closer to the ideal they believe they should achieve. It's extremely sad that Alymer would rather have a dead wife than a wife with birthmark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see I am not the only one who really enjoys Nathaniel Hawthorne's works! I have not read this one yet, but I am definitely going to look into it. I agree with all of your points about what the blemish could mean especially the one about how it is impossible to be perfect, and that we should not worry about trying to become perfect. If we do, we will be miserable, and we will lose the things we love. A perspective I kept thinking about had to do with "The Scarlet Letter." She committed a sin that she could not get rid of, and maybe, Georgiana had committed a sin that she could not get rid of. It is just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad to see I am not the only one who really enjoys Nathaniel Hawthorne's works! I have not read this one yet, but I am definitely going to look into it. I agree with all of your points about what the blemish could mean especially the one about how it is impossible to be perfect, and that we should not worry about trying to become perfect. If we do, we will be miserable, and we will lose the things we love. A perspective I kept thinking about had to do with "The Scarlet Letter." She committed a sin that she could not get rid of, and maybe, Georgiana had committed a sin that she could not get rid of. It is just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read this story, but I would like to. I have read The Scarlett Letter and this story reminds me of the character Reverend Arthur Dimmesdale who lives in fear because of his sin and imperfection. The worry slowly destroys him, the way that the the worry eats away at Georgiana. She eventually succumbs to the pressure her husband has put on her, the way that Arthur is overtaken by the pressure he feels from the Puritans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your analysis really makes me want to read this story. The use of the birthmark as imperfection and perfection is very interesting and to read this character going crazy over it, makes it even more interesting. Society creates this perfect image and people become obsess with it. Aylmer is a perfect example of this. The sin part was really interesting and something you don't think about. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this story in high school. Anything written by Hawthorne is basically guaranteed to be great. "The Birthmark" is certainly no different. This speaks greatly to people who think that a small imperfection, such as a Birthmark, corrupts the beauty of a person as a whole. Like you mention, no one is perfect! Good job with the analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a way, Alymer reminds me of Victor Frankenstein because you pointed out that he is trying to be God-like. Like Frankenstein, Alymer decided to mess with life in a way he should not have done. This eventually backfired and made the character miserable. As you said, perfection is not attainable, and Hawthorne has demonstrated this with Georgiana's death. In the end, my question is this: if Aylmer wanted to change Georgiana, did he really love her?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really appreciate the parallel you drew between her birthmark as a sign of beauty and sin as desirable. Whenever I think about how our world is changing, I always think about how instead of trying to improve ourselves and rise above our sinful natures, we have begun embracing our impurities and waving them around proudly. I think this story is not to remind us to be ashamed of being a human, but rather not to be shocked when someone ceases to impressed with our sin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sort of thought of the birthmark as the wife's mark of individuality and when Aylmer tried to remove it she was no longer herself, resulting in her death. I think I would enjoy reading this story! -Hollie Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thoroughly enjoyed your analysis of "The Birthmark". It seems like a very interesting story. When I was reading this post, I was reminded of Mary Shelley's story Frankenstein. Dr. Frankenstein was so obsessed with creating life that he basically secluded himself from society until he achieved his goal, but then once he created life, he was repulsed and haunted by his own creation. In both Frankenstein and "The Birthmark", science backfires, and it goes to show that man should not try to take on God's role.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The time that I read this story before, I always thought it was so strange how much Aylmer obsessed over a birthmark that wasn't even his. Often times, reading someone else's perspective helps me to sort out my own opinion, and your review did just that. I think Aylmer obsesses over the birthmark so much because he sees it not just as her imperfection, but as a symbol of all imperfection. Maybe it's that his imperfection is inward and he wishes it were physical like his wife's? Whatever the case, I don't think he despises his wife, he despises imperfection for leaving its mark on her. Maybe this is a story about a man's battle with evil rather than a man being superficial and shallow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, Lesley and Marcela, I really like how you mentioned that this story reminds you of the story of Dr. Frankenstein. This got me to thinking, in both stories, science ends up causing things to go wrong. This suspicion of science is something that I think we're gradually losing, you know? Today, it's more like science is a power that we don't entirely understand, and we're more eager to learn than to settle with what we already know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you chose Hawthorne and your analysis! I find that Hawthorne really appeals to the devil and saint inside of us. He makes us see how we easily stress about things out of our control and yet when it is over we feel renewed in some way. I felt renewed in that I wanted to stop freaking out over things out of my control. It is fascinating to me that he can do that. Hawthorne is amazing!

    ReplyDelete